I decided at the beginning of December that 2014 would be the year I let go of my self loathing and learn to truly love myself. I also decided that it was too important to actually put off until the beginning of the year so I sat down then and there and created a daily self love ritual. I’ve been doing it every day for more than a month now and I’m amazed at the results I’m seeing.
My Self Love Ritual
My self love ritual begins with my self love altar. It changes quite often according to what my soul asks for, However, there are a few constants that are always present. I have a large jar candle in a scent I love that I wrote the word “Love” on and which also props up my soul card. And most importantly a special rose quartz that I use as my self love totem.
I light the candle while stating a simple “I am worth it.”. I smudge myself with a Palo Santo stick. I take a few deep breaths, hold my rose quartz and say my self love affirmations. Sometimes I blow the candle out, sometimes I leave it burning for a while so that it has time to release it’s wonderful scent.
But that’s it. That’s my whole daily self love ritual. It only takes a few minutes every day but performing this short and simple ritual every day has done more to boost my love for myself than anything else.
Creating Your Own Self Love Ritual
Your personal self love ritual can be absolutely anything as long as it reminds you to love yourself on a daily basis. However, if you feel you need some ideas, here are some things you might want to include.
- The Altar – Your altar can be as simple or extravagant as you like. Or you don’t have to have an altar at all. Though I do recommend you have a totem of some sort at the very least.
- Light A Candle – The simple act of lighting a candle is a powerful trigger switching our brains into ritual mode.
- Smudge or Ground – If you have issues with negative thoughts, smudging yourself every day can help keep all that negativity from clinging to you. If smoke isn’t your thing try grounding instead.
- Affirmations – I feel that the affirmations are the most important part of a daily self love ritual. One or more self affirming statements that you say every day until they become a part of who you are.
- Journal – Carve out a few minutes each day to jot down a few things that you love about yourself. It’s basically a written form of affirmations that you can do in a more private way.
- Keep It Simple – Your daily self love ritual could be something as simple as using a specially scented soap or body oil that you nourish your skin with every day while you’re getting ready.
If you don’t have time for anything else, simply close your eyes, take a deep breath and think to yourself “I am worth it.”. Because you are so worth it!
Do you have a self love ritual or any kind of daily reminder to love yourself? If not, do you plan on creating one? Join the discussion on the Be Your Own Goddess Facebook page.